Recipe courtesy of Kurt Dammeier of Beecher's Handmade Cheese
For the marinade
• 1/2 cup neutral vegetable cooking oil (such as safflower or canola)
• 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
• 4 teaspoons chile powder
• 4 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 limes, zested and juiced
For the tacos
• 2 pounds beef chuck roast (cut across the grain 1/4-inch thick; skirt steak or flank steak can be substituted)
• 8 ounces Beecher's Just Jack or Flagship cheese, coarsely grated
• 12 eight-inch corn tortillas
• 2 bunches scallions, grilled 2-3 minutes per side
• 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced thin
• 10 small or 7 medium radishes, sliced thin
• 2 limes, quartered
1. Place all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until well-combined. Add the steaks and turn to cover with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
2. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill so it's hot, around 450° F. Cook the steaks for 5 minutes on one side then 2 minutes on the other side. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas on the grill.
3. To serve, cut the steaks against the grain into bite-sized pieces (about half-inch cubes), place equal portions on each tortilla, and garnish with the grated cheese, sliced avocado, grilled scallions and radishes. Fold the tortillas over the meat and garnishes, and serve with the lime quarters on the side. Serves 6.