Log In / Join Now

Collecting Q&A: Choosing Insurance for Your Cellar

Peter D. Meltzer
Posted: April 26, 2007

Q. Am I covered by my insurance policy if a $500 bottle of wine is stolen from my cellar?

A. It depends entirely on the type of insurance you have taken out. A simple homeowner's policy usually covers losses from theft and fire, less the predetermined deductible you stipulated when you took out the policy. So if you have a $500 to $1,000 deductible (which is quite common), you may be covered for the loss of the bottle, yet not be reimbursed. More sophisticated wine policies provide blanket or stand-alone coverage for bottles worth more than $10,000, which may include a replacement-cost clause that can actually exceed the bottle's insured value. What's more, they will cover a broader range of accidents including breakage and equipment malfunction. Some insurers, like Fireman's Fund, link to wine databases in order to keep the value of your collection current.

Read more about insuring your wine collection.

Have a question about collecting and auctions? E-mail us.

WineRatings+ app: Download now for 340,000+ ratings.