Recipe from Essential Pépin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food by Jacques Pépin (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2011)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
• 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
• 6 tablespoons heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 2 heads Boston lettuce, leaves gently torn into bite-size pieces (8 - 10 cups), washed and dried
1. Combine the salt, white pepper, vinegar and cream in a large bowl. Beat with a whisk for about 20 seconds. The mixture should be foamy and creamy in consistency; it will thicken as you beat it. Add the oil and mix with a spoon to blend it.
2. At serving time, toss the lettuce gently in the dressing. Serves 6.