Restaurant Awards Program Assistant
Are you passionate about restaurants, wine and fine dining? Wine Spectator is looking for a motivated individual to work with Wine Spectator's Restaurant Awards program and similar projects. This full-time position will be largely responsible for administrative tasks, but offers opportunities in reporting, writing, contributing to the creation of new awards programs, supporting project implementation and other cross-departmental duties.
Candidates should have an educational background in journalism, communications, business or hospitality; at least one year’s experience in publishing and/or administrative fields; and some knowledge of wine and dining. All candidates must currently be based in or near New York City. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Experience with any of the following is a plus:
- Project management
- Web content management systems
- Social media in a professional environment
- Filemaker or other databases
Associate Editor / Dining and Food
Wine Spectator seeks an associate editor who has a passion for wine, a minimum of three years of journalism experience in a digital environment, and some experience developing recipes and covering food and restaurant trends. The position involves reporting, writing and editing recipe-focused features, restaurant news, interviews with chefs and sommeliers, and wine-and-food pairing educational content for WineSpectator.com and its associated e-mail newsletters and social media platforms.
About the Role
Candidates should have solid reporting and writing skills, a knack for explaining topics in an accessible way and the ability to handle multiple weekly deadlines.
If you love learning about different wine grapes and regions, you spend a lot of time thinking about what and where you’re going to eat next, you know the distinction between its and it’s, and you care deeply about accurate journalism, this may be the job for you. We don't expect you to be able to list the soil types in every vineyard site in Burgundy; we do expect you to know what Burgundy is.
You'll be spending your days immersed in all things wine and food, talking to chefs and sommeliers who have assembled some of the best wine lists in the world and keeping up on the latest food trends, restaurant openings and closings and staff changes. In addition, you'll be testing out recipes for the home cook and figuring out which wine to pair with them.
Required Background and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism or English
- Prior experience writing for magazines, newspapers, websites or newsletters
- Ability to multitask and juggle multiple deadlines
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Work well in a team environment
- CMS experience
- Prior experience writing about food and/or restaurants
- Strong home cooking skills
The Ideal Candidate Will Also Have:
- Experience with e-mail newsletters
- Proofreading, fact-checking and/or copyediting skills
- Solid contacts in the restaurant and food worlds
- Some proficiency with photographing and styling food
- Knowledge of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), including the ability to conceive engaging content and interact with followers
- Familiarity with Google Analytics or other analytics tools
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Some familiarity with HTML5
- Experience working in the wine or restaurant industries, completion of a wine-education course or completion of culinary courses
This position is full-time and based in our Manhattan offices; no exceptions. Our current arrangement is a hybrid of remote and in-office work. Please email cover letter, résumé and a selection of published clips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Wine Spectator:
Wine Spectator explores wine as a beverage and as a lifestyle, educating and entertaining readers at every level of wine knowledge with in-depth articles and expert advice. In addition to blind-tasting 10,000+ wines each year, our journalists and critics write about dining and travel, cooking, entertaining and design, environmental and health issues and more, reporting news and profiling achievers industry-wide. The world’s leading wine publication, Wine Spectator reaches more than 3 million readers per print issue and millions more through its digital brands. Wine Spectator’s Restaurant Awards annually honor dining destinations around the world that demonstrate excellence in their wine programs.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Wine Spectator, please contact us at (212) 684-4224 or email us at email@example.com.