California is a magical place for wine. It's home to veteran vintners who've made their mark and a younger generation hoping to do so, to old-vine vineyards and to growing regions just starting to fulfill their potential. Here are some of their stories.
Web Exclusive Content
WINE SPECTATOR'S 13TH ANNUAL VIDEO CONTEST: Share your wine story to compete for great prizes! Submit your shorts to Wine Spectator's annual video contest and you could win tickets to our spectacular Wine Experience weekend or a Grand Tasting. Entry deadline is Monday, Aug. 19. Check out the rules and previous years' finalists online.
OUTDOOR ENTERTAINING It's time to take the party to the backyard, beach or park, and some of the country's best chefs are here to help. We share their cooking tips and delicious make-at-home summer recipes along with great value wine matches chosen by our editors.
VALUE WINE PICKS Wine Spectator's free Xvalues app for iOS and Android devices features a regularly updated library of our editors' latest reviews of highly rated, widely available wines, and highlights five categories: top values ($12 or less); reds ($20 or less); whites ($20 or less); sparklers ($40 or less); and seasonal and holiday picks. Look for it in the App Store and on Google Play!
WINE SPECTATOR VIDEO Watch all our great wine tips, winemaker interviews and tastings on your desktop, laptop, tablet or phone.
- Spotlight on: Laura Catena: Laura Catena of Argentina's Catena Zapata explains why her first sip of wine might be considered unconventional, what wine has taught her about life, and more.
- Spotlight on: Sarah Marquis: Sarah Marquis, of Australia's Mollydooker winery, reminisces on her first sip of wine, talks about her wine hero, and more.
- A Perfect Match: Buttermilk-Basil Panna Cotta with Sparkling Rosé: Find out more about this intriguing pairing—and get the recipe from chef Angela Tamura of Pèppoli in Pebble Beach, Calif.
ADVANCE RATINGS NEWSLETTERS Get the early scoop on the best values and hottest collectibles from our editors' latest tastings.
- Insider: Weekly reviews of highly rated wines to seek out before they sell out.
- Advance: Sneak peeks at the top picks from upcoming issues of the magazine.
2018 BORDEAUX BARREL TASTINGS Bordeaux's 2018 vintage is drawing comparison to the benchmark 2010 vintage. Senior editor James Molesworth made his annual trip to Bordeaux to taste the young wines from barrel. Which 2018s will be worth buying as futures? Check out his reports from top châteaus and estates to watch. Plus, get his tasting Tips for hosting an outdoor gathering, online notes for more than 250 Bordeaux reds, dry whites and sweet wines.