Log In / Join Now

Ask Dr. Vinny

Do you have a question for Dr. Vinny? Ask it here...

Dear Dr. Vinny,

What do you call a person who collects alcohol, like whiskey, brandy, rum or wine?

—Diwas, Nepal

Dear Diwas,

People who collect wine are simply called “wine collectors,” and the same would go for those who collect whiskey, brandy or rum. There are, however, some interesting names for collectors of some alcohol-adjacent accoutrements: A corkscrew collector is called a “helixophile,” someone who collects beer bottles is called a “laberophilist,” and a collector of coasters or beermats is known as a “tegestologist.”

A connoisseur of wine is called an “enophile” (an “enologist” is an expert in the science of wine), and you probably know the term “sommelier,” for a trained and knowledgeable wine steward. Someone trained in vineyard management is called a “viticulturist.” There are lots of cool things you can be when it comes to wine!

—Dr. Vinny

Wine Basics

We break down the basics—how to taste, serve, store and more. Plus:
» Maps of major wine regions
» Grape variety characteristics

How-to Videos

Learn to taste wine like a pro, pull a cork with flair, get great wine service in a restaurant and more

Wine Spectator School: All courses are FREE for WineSpectator.com Members

Learn from the experts and get the most out of each sip. Take one of our online courses or take them all—from the ABCs of Tasting to in-depth seminars on Food Pairing, California Cabernet, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Sensory Evaluation and more.

Browse our course catalog
Check out the professional wine sales and service courses
Learn Wine Forum: Got questions? Get answers

WineRatings+ app: Download now for 365,000+ ratings.