Log In / Join Now

Ask Dr. Vinny

Do you have a question for Dr. Vinny? Ask it here...

Dear Dr. Vinny,

I know that Champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France. Here in South Africa, we use the term méthode cap classique, or MCC. What are the differences between MCC and other sparkling wines like Champagne?

—Tyrone V., Cape Town, South Africa

Dear Tyrone,

Think of “sparkling wine” as the main way to describe a bubbly wine. Sparkling wine can come from anywhere. As you pointed out, Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France. Cava is a designation of Spanish sparkling wines; you have probably heard of Prosecco and Moscato d’Asti from Italy, and perhaps of sekt from Germany. MCC is a South African term indicating a sparkling wine made in the traditional method (the same way Champagne is made), by which a secondary fermentation takes place inside the bottle.

—Dr. Vinny

Wine Basics

We break down the basics—how to taste, serve, store and more. Plus:
» Maps of major wine regions
» Grape variety characteristics

How-to Videos

Learn to taste wine like a pro, pull a cork with flair, get great wine service in a restaurant and more

Wine Spectator School: All courses are FREE for WineSpectator.com Members

Learn from the experts and get the most out of each sip. Take one of our online courses or take them all—from the ABCs of Tasting to in-depth seminars on Food Pairing, California Cabernet, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Sensory Evaluation and more.

Browse our course catalog
Check out the professional wine sales and service courses
Learn Wine Forum: Got questions? Get answers

WineRatings+ app: Download now for 365,000+ ratings.