Log In / Join Now

Ask Dr. Vinny

Do you have a question for Dr. Vinny? Ask it here...

Dear Dr. Vinny,

What is the word for crushing or pressing grapes by foot?

—Marcus E., Woollahra, Australia

Dear Marcus,

I mostly hear this referred to as “grape stomping” but, depending on the context, other terms such as “crush” and “foot trodding” can be used. There’s also a French term, pigéage à pied (or "punch-down by foot"), which refers to breaking the fermentation cap and submerging it to extract color, tannins, flavor and aromas from the grape solids.

—Dr. Vinny

Wine Basics

We break down the basics—how to taste, serve, store and more. Plus:
» Maps of major wine regions
» Grape variety characteristics

How-to Videos

Learn to taste wine like a pro, pull a cork with flair, get great wine service in a restaurant and more

Wine Spectator School: All courses are FREE for WineSpectator.com Members

Learn from the experts and get the most out of each sip. Take one of our online courses or take them all—from the ABCs of Tasting to in-depth seminars on Food Pairing, California Cabernet, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Sensory Evaluation and more.

Browse our course catalog
Check out the professional wine sales and service courses
Learn Wine Forum: Got questions? Get answers

WineRatings+ app: Download now for 340,000+ ratings.