Log In / Join Now

Ask Dr. Vinny

Do you have a question for Dr. Vinny? Ask it here...

Dear Dr. Vinny,

Everyone knows that sparkling wine from Champagne is called “Champagne.” But can they make still wine there as well, or is only sparkling allowed in the region? And would we still call it Champagne?

—Justin J., Edmonton, Alberta

Dear Justin,

Good question. Yes, these days, most folks only use the term “Champagne” to refer to the stuff from the Champagne region of France. Most of it is bubbly, but some still wine is made. The Coteaux Champenois appellation in Champagne is where still wines—mostly reds made from Pinot Noir, one of the grapes also used to make the bubbly stuff—are made in small quantities. Very little of it is exported to the United States, which is a shame, because I’ve tried a version from Bollinger that was fantastic.

So, yes, some still wine is made in Champagne, but it will carry the “Coteaux Champenois” designation and not “Champagne.”

—Dr. Vinny

Wine Basics

We break down the basics—how to taste, serve, store and more. Plus:
» Maps of major wine regions
» Grape variety characteristics

How-to Videos

Learn to taste wine like a pro, pull a cork with flair, get great wine service in a restaurant and more

Wine Spectator School: All courses are FREE for WineSpectator.com Members

Learn from the experts and get the most out of each sip. Take one of our online courses or take them all—from the ABCs of Tasting to in-depth seminars on Food Pairing, California Cabernet, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Sensory Evaluation and more.

Browse our course catalog
Check out the professional wine sales and service courses
Learn Wine Forum: Got questions? Get answers

WineRatings+ app: Download now for 340,000+ ratings.