Out of the Woodwork

Posted: Mar 26, 2006 5:49am ET

Where are all these new wineries coming from? I keep on tasting 2005s that I have never heard of before -- mostly St. Emilion. And they are very good quality. But will they sell?

Steven Balavender
Tampa, Fl —  March 26, 2006 7:41am ET
"they are very good quality. But will they sell?"
Everything sells for the right price. Given they are good quality should make chances all the better. If they are unknown and price themself silly then that's another story.
David Tully
March 26, 2006 12:07pm ET
they will sell if you give them a rating of 90 or higher
Guus Hateboer
Netherlands —  March 26, 2006 1:38pm ET
I guess these new wineries will be listed in the 2005 Bordeaux tasting notes, to be published soon, right? I'd really want to hear about these unknown chateaux, and indeed, they will sell if such high points are allocated. I'll buy a wine for 4,50 euro if it gets 87-90 points, sure, blind-buying.
David Lobe
Toronto, —  March 26, 2006 4:06pm ET
Hey James, From a price/quality perspecive, would you recommend buying 2nd labels from 1st growths in a great vintage or the 1st wines from less growths?
Donald Jones
Chicago —  March 26, 2006 9:16pm ET
On that note (from David Lobe), when are the 1855 "growth" charts going to be re-compiled for the 22nd century? It seems that many of the 5th growth wines taste as good as the second, etc... Not that the French really want to change anything, but the chart can sometimes seem outdated, especially for some of the prices charged, for frankly, average wine. I could be too "american" in my view.
Richard Spera
Huntsville, AL —  March 27, 2006 11:11am ET
They will sell if they are rated highly and not "budget busters".