What are we looking for?
The videos should be educational and entertaining as well as short and non-commercial. A couple years ago, one runner-up was shot with an iPhone, so no complicated camera set-up is required. Just tell a good story and you'll have the audience on your side.
(After reviewing otherwise great entries that repeatedly splash their brand across the screen, here's further clarification: Videos submitted by wineries or on behalf of wineries are very welcome, but they are not likely to be chosen as finalists if they open and close with branding shots and contain a zillion brand shots within the video; a couple low-key label or bottle shots are the limit. Rather than make a billboard, tell us a story, educate us, and capture our hearts.)
The subjects could be interviews with winemakers, chefs or sommeliers, tours of wineries, your favorite recipe paired with wine, tastings of selected varietals or simply adventures with wine. (For examples and inspiration, see the free videos posted each week at WineSpectator.com or see the Finalists and Honorable Mentions from last year's video contest.)
The deadline for all entries is usually August 31st, but since that's Labor Day weekend this year, we'll have a grace period until midnight on Monday, September 2, 2013.
Picking the Finalists: Wine Spectator editors will select the best videos, which will be posted at WineSpectator.com on Monday, September 9, 2013.
Picking the Winner: Visitors to WineSpectator.com will vote for their favorite video during the voting period, which runs Monday, September 9, through Monday morning, September 16. The video with the most votes will be the winner. Note: only 20 votes per IP address will be counted.
Announcing the Winner: The second- and third-place videos will be revealed on Monday, September 16, at WineSpectator.com. The top video will be revealed on Tuesday, September 17. Honorable Mention videos will also be revealed on September 17.
1. Grand Prize The creator of the winning video will receive a pair of full event registrations at two distinguished wine and film events. Plus, the winning video may be screened at both events as part of the official programs. The two events:
- Wine Spectator's Wine Experience in New York City on October 24–26, 2013. WSWineExperience.com
Napa Valley Film Festival in Napa Valley on November 13-17, 2013. NapaValleyFilmFest.org
2. Finalist Prize The finalists, as chosen by our editors, will each receive a pair of tickets to one of the Grand Tastings at the Wine Experience in New York City on October 24 or 25, 2013. If they are unable to make that date, finalists may attend any one of the 2014 Grand Tour Tastings (dates and locations TBD). Finalists' videos will be posted on WineSpectator.com, as will a number of honorable mention videos. There are usually nine finalists, but that number may change at the discretion of Wine Spectator.
3. Entry Prize Everyone who submits a video judged by our editors as a valid submission will receive a six-month full-access membership to WineSpectator.com, which includes more than 280,000 wine reviews and all 10 wine courses at WineSpectator.com/school. Current members will receive an extension of their membership. (Only one entry prize per entrant.)
- Videos must be a minimum of 45 seconds long and must not exceed 3 minutes.
- The entrant and all persons appearing in the video or in any way associated with its production must be 21 years of age or older.
- Videos must not contain any copyrighted material (including copyrighted background music) unless you have the rights to the material.
- Videos must be the entrant's original creation.
- Videos cannot contain any profanity, offensive language, nudity or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of Wine Spectator.
- Wine Spectator is not responsible for any wine reviews or opinions contained in entrants' videos.
- Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
- If your video includes persons other than yourself, you must have consent from those persons to appear in your video and in this contest.
- Wine Spectator reserves the right to reject, not to use or make available for public viewing, or at any time remove any video that Wine Spectator finds unsuitable for any reason at its sole discretion.
- Multiple entries are allowed, but each entrant can receive only one Grand Prize or Finalist Prize, as well as one membership to WineSpectator.com.
- All submitted videos may be used for promotional purposes by Wine Spectator.
The video file size must be no larger than 500MB.
We accept these video file formats: mpeg, mov and avi
How to submit your video
It's easy. Complete the entry form and upload your video.
Email us at email@example.com.