Trying to decide among several wines, in a store or at a restaurant? Want to learn more about vintage quality in Bordeaux or Tuscany? Interested in the latest news from the world of wine?
All this and more is available with a tap on your smartphone, with the newly redesigned version of Wine Spectator’s flagship WineRatings+ app.
Designed for connoisseurs and casual wine drinkers, WineRatings+ is a comprehensive app that helps wine lovers make better choices, discover great values, learn about wine in general and stay updated on what’s new in wine.
Now, a 30-day free trial allows you to explore the rich content in the app, including its premium features, which include access to 320,000 expert wine reviews from Wine Spectator, as well as editors' picks and top values.
The app has now been redesigned for iPhones and iPads with a fresh new look, iOS9 features and an even easier-to-use search that automatically suggests matches as you type. The new design is optimized for all iOS devices, so you can quickly look up a specific wine on your new iPhone 6s while in a store or read articles on your iPad Mini or an iPad Air while relaxing at home.
“WineRatings+ is consistently among the leading apps in the Food & Drink section on the Apple app store,” said Marvin R. Shanken, publisher and editor of Wine Spectator. “That’s because it delivers information wine lovers demand, backed by the expertise and integrity of Wine Spectator’s editors.”
Available now on the App Store, the new version of WineRatings+ is a free download, with a mix of free and premium content. At no charge, you can scan the app’s timely news feed, reference Wine Spectator’s definitive vintage charts, browse the Top 100 Wines of the year, and learn from helpful "how-to" videos and articles.
For $2.99 per month, subscribers receive automatic updates with more than 1,000 new reviews each month, no download required. If you enable the app's notifications, you'll now receive alerts each time new ratings are added, with quick access to the new "Recently Added" wines list in the Picks section.
If you already have a subscription to WineRatings+ on one iOS device, you can easily add it to multiple iOS devices using the same App Store account by tapping "Enable This Device" on the subscription screen. Your list of Favorites will now automatically be carried over to any new device.
Also new in this version, the home screen now features the Wine Spectator Feed of daily news, Q&As and other articles, so you can quickly keep tabs on what's going on in the world of wine. The search has been further enhanced with additional filtering options for easy browsing, while a new display of "Recent Searches" allows you to easily return to previously viewed results. And the Vintage Charts have been expanded with quick-reference links to view matching wines for that region, grape and vintage year.
Highlights of WineRatings+ include:
- Quick access to 320,000 Wine Spectator wine reviews, with definitive ratings, detailed tasting notes, release prices, current auction prices and recommended drinking windows. Our database represents the most comprehensive and authoritative library of professional wine reviews in the world.
- Automatic updates (no download required) of more than 1,000 new Wine Spectator reviews each month, totaling more than 15,000 per year.
- An easy and efficient wine ratings search that provides suggested matches—identified by winery, wine name, region or grape—as you type. Use the filtering options—including price, score, producer, name, region and grape variety—to help you narrow results to your perfect choice.
- An expanded “Picks” section that delivers frequently updated editors’ selections of top wines and values; use our lists to discover new producers and browse by category. For great buys among the most recent reviews, turn to "Classic Wines (95-100 Points)," newest "Reds and Whites $20 or Less (90+ Points)" and "Extreme Values $12 or Less." Or explore "Value Sparklers for Special Occasions," "Blue-Chip Collectibles" and our "Top 100 Wines for 2015"—our editors' latest list of the world's most exciting wines. Plus, find the most "Recently Added" reviews here.
- Seamless save features that log all recently viewed wines to a convenient list and let users “favorite” wines for future reference.
- Updated values for more than 10,000 collectible wines. Current average auction prices are displayed automatically each quarter, based on the latest sales.
- Vintage Charts that cover 55 of the world’s principal wine regions and grape varieties. These assess the quality and character of each region’s wines and indicate if the wines are ready to drink now or would benefit from aging.
- A real-time feed offering a timely view into current wine culture, with the latest news, insights, Q&As, recipes and more from WineSpectator.com.
- Easy sharing of your favorite wines and articles. Using the Facebook and Twitter single sign-on features in iOS, subscribers can post Wine Spectator ratings for wines they enjoy, as well as links to news and feature stories, or send them via e-mail, text message or AirDrop to friends and family.
- Rich articles and entertaining videos that educate on the fundamentals of wine.
- For iPhone 6s users, new 3D Touch features that give you shortcuts from the WineRatings+ icon on your device's SpringBoard, as well as let you quickly preview articles and tasting notes.
The Wine Spectator WineRatings+ App is available for free from the App Store on iPhone and iPad or at www.itunes.com/appstore. A free 30-day trial allows you to explore the premium features; a $2.99 monthly subscription, available via In-App Purchase, provides ongoing access to all wine ratings, including regular updates. Existing subscribers to WineRatings+ can add other iOS devices on their App Store account for no additional charge.
iPhone and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Click to expand the view