Where did the term "Apera," which has replaced the term for "Sherry" made in Canada, come from?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

Where did the term “Apera,” which has replaced the word "Sherry" on Canadian Sherry bottles, come from?

—Holly, Salmon Arm, Canada

Dear Holly,

As I’ve written before, these days most of the world agrees that the word “Sherry” should only refer to the stuff made in the Jerez region of Spain, just as they agree that Champagne should only be used for the sparkling wines that come from the Champagne region of France.

But it took a while to get there. It wasn’t until 2005 when the United States, as part of a trade agreement, officially agreed to no longer use these theretofore semi-generic terms, including Sherry, Burgundy, Port and Chianti (though some uses were grandfathered in). Along this thinking, beginning in 2011, Australia decided to change the name of Sherry-inspired wines made in Australia to be called Apera, and the same change was adopted by Canada in 2014.

I like the word “Apera,” which is a play on aperitif. It's a lovely reminder of how Sherry can be a lovely way to start a meal. It’s also easy to remember, spell and pronounce. Win, win and win.

—Dr. Vinny

Fortified Wines Ask Dr. Vinny

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search