Is it normal to worry that I should save my wines for better times?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

I have reached a point in wine collecting where I am hesitant to drink my wines. As an avid collector who reads Wine Spectator regularly, is it normal to worry that my wines should be saved for just the right age and special moment?

—Claude C., Racine, Wisc.

Dear Claude,

I remember a point in my wine-loving life where I had collected a great deal of important bottles of wine, but I wasn't comfortable opening any of them. They all seemed too special, too valuable, or not yet ready. I would catalog them, dust them, show them off, but opening them felt impossible. I remember what broke that spell was a friend who needed some cheering, so I brought over one of my treasures, and we had a night that we’ll remember for the rest of our lives.

First, I want to encourage you to find excuses to crack open those bottles. We can get a little precious about our wine collections, but you’ll have more memories from drinking them than not. Perhaps you have some wine-loving friends that you can invite over and you can take the leap together.

In the meantime, you might also want to find some affordable, everyday wines so you can continue to enjoy and learn while you wait for those special bottles. (But don't wait too long! A wine forgotten until it's past its prime is one of the saddest wines of all.)

—Dr. Vinny

Collecting Aging Wine Storage Cellars Ask Dr. Vinny

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search