What's the difference between "cooking wine" and regular wine?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

So-called "cooking wines" have a nasty reputation, and I've actually never heard a single good thing about them. But other than the fact that they're unpopular, I know nothing about them. What should I know?

—Jerry, Minneapolis, Minn.

Dear Jerry,

We talk a lot about “drinking wine” here, but there is a product called “cooking wine” which starts with wine made from grapes and/or grape concentrate, with added salt and preservatives like potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to give it a longer shelf life (yes, cooking wine comes with an expiration date, usually about a year). You can find it at grocery stores, usually near the vinegars and salad dressings, sometimes by the wine aisle.

Cooking wine is handy for people who don’t consume wine, but still want to use it when a recipe calls for it. Not only does wine add flavor to a dish, its acidity helps break down fats and other flavor components, which is why it’s so great to use as a deglazing tool.

But my cooking-with-wine advice is to not cook with wine you wouldn’t drink. The problem with cooking wine is not only is it unpleasant to drink, it is salty, and can add an unwanted salty or even metallic flavor to your dish if you’re not careful.

When confronted with heat, much of the alcohol in wine will burn off, leaving the wine’s core fruit flavors and acidity. I think the best wines for cooking are fruity and not dominated by oak. These days you can find plenty of affordable reds like Syrah, Zinfandel and Grenache or whites like Sauvignon Blanc to cook with that would also be fun to drink. If you’re not a fan of drinking wine, you can store an open bottle of wine in a fridge for a week, maybe more, before it loses its flavors. Or consider some box wine options, which—especially when stored in a refrigerator—could last a month or so once opened. My last tip? Freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays for future cooking endeavors.

—Dr. Vinny

Ask Dr. Vinny Cooking

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search