What is it called when you coat the inside of a wineglass with wine?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

I was recently introduced to a wine service technique by which a small of amount of wine is swirled around the wineglass to coat the surface and then discarded before the glass is then filled. It made an astounding difference in the way the wine showed! Does this technique have a name?

—Wendy, North Vancouver, British Columbia

Dear Wendy,

It sure does! That’s called “priming,” or “seasoning,” the glass, and I do it all the time to deal with the musty smell that my wineglasses sometimes pick up from my wood cabinets. You can watch a few of my Wine Spectator colleagues in action, swirling and priming a glass, in our cool "How to Serve Wine Like a Pro" video.

I have heard that the practice of priming originated in Italy, but it’s pretty common among wine geeks around the world. Sometimes sommeliers will even use this method in restaurants. And the process is just how you describe it: Coating the interior of the glass with wine and then discarding it not only rinses out any dust particles or other residues, but it also fills the glass with the aroma of the wine.

—Dr. Vinny

Dining Out Sommelier Service Ask Dr. Vinny

More In Dr. Vinny

What do wine grapes taste like?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why you don't see grapes like Cabernet and …

Nov 15, 2019

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search