What does it mean if a wine was “cold fermented”?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

What does it mean if a wine was “cold fermented”?

—Edward, Wellington, New Zealand

Dear Edward,

One of the byproducts of fermentation, when yeast converts grape sugars to alcohol, is heat.

But if it is warm in the winery and the fermentation temperature goes unchecked, it could possibly get so warm that the yeast can die and the fermentation can get stuck. Some winemakers also believe that the flavors can start to taste cooked or stewed and less fresh with warmer fermentations. A warm, fast fermentation can also mean fewer aromatics.

There are plenty of terrific wines made with warm ferments. But other winemakers prefer a cold, slow fermentation, which they believe will help preserve color, fresh fruit flavors and aromatics. At the same time, if things get too cold, the fermentation can slow to a point of stopping and getting stuck that way. It certainly takes a lot of attention to execute a cold fermentation.

—Dr. Vinny

Ask Dr. Vinny Winemaking Techniques Explained

More In Dr. Vinny

What do wine grapes taste like?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why you don't see grapes like Cabernet and …

Nov 15, 2019

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search