What does "cold soaking" do for grapes?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

I have recently read about a vinification technique used in making Merlot (and possibly other reds). Prior to fermentation, whole berries are "cold soaked" for about 5 days at 50 degrees F in open top stainless steel fermentation tanks. What attributes or benefits are imparted to wine as a result of "cold soaking"?

—Andrew, Mountain Home, Idaho

Dear Andrew,

Pre-fermentation "cold soaking" or "cold maceration" is a way to extract color and flavor from grape skins. Extraction also occurs during fermentation, of course, but many winemakers feel cold soaking brings out different, and beneficial, aspects of the grapes.

It's necessary to keep the grapes chilled to stall fermentation. The length of time varies according to the winemaker's goals and the grape variety. There are other variables, too, such as what proportions of stems and whole berries and clusters they want to be soaked (all adding different characteristics). Some winemakers add enzymes to help the extraction along, sulfur dioxide to inhibit unwanted microbial activity, and inert gas to prevent oxidation.

Winemakers cold-soak all kinds of reds (and some grapes and wine styles are more extractable than others), but since you asked specifically about Merlot, I checked in with Vine Cliff winemaker Rex Smith, who cold-soaks Merlot, to get the skinny on his perspective. This is what Rex says:

"I feel the main advantage to cold-soaking the grapes is to extract color and flavor, in an aqueous environment, without extracting tannin. By pumping over a few minutes a day, without having the solvent affect of alcohol, we are not extracting harsh tannins, bitterness or astringency, just color and flavor. We extract the "good stuff" first, and then we can dial in the tannins [during fermentation], and drain and press when the tannin balance is just right. Also, the nutrients in the grape skins will go into solution and be available for the yeast to use. This period of cold soaking will also allow indigenous yeast to grow and start the fermentation without a lot of temperature that encourages spoilage organisms to thrive."

—Dr. Vinny

Ask Dr. Vinny

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search