Should a highly regarded Napa Cabernet be over the hill already at age 7?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

I don’t know much about aging wines, but I’ve been opening numerous 2010 Napa Cabernets that were properly cellared and they have tasted very weak in fruit and high in alcohol—basically undrinkable. Wine Spectator’s vintage chart says “drink or hold” (96 points), but I don't think they’re any good! Can you shed any light on this?

—John Z., Warwick, N.Y.

Dear John,

Thanks for clarifying that the wines have been properly stored—that’s always the first suspect when someone mentions older wines that taste off.

Next up, I’d make sure that your glassware is clean, and that you’re not serving the wines too warm (which makes the alcohol stick out) or too cold (which can dumb down the fruit flavors). I think big reds like Cabernet show best at around 65° F.

So if the wines are cared for and served properly, then we have to look at how the wines are aging. Wines evolve over time and change in flavor—fresh fruit notes will fade to dried fruit notes and tea flavors, and secondary and tertiary elements of earth, mushroom, nuts or tobacco leaf may emerge.

For some wines, there’s also an awkward, transitional period between its youth and its maturity, when the wines are considered to be going through a “dumb phase.” It’s a vague term, and based on anecdotal evidence. But I’ve experienced it: A wine might be inexpressive one day, but then show beautifully six months or a year later.

So it’s possible that you don’t like the flavor of aged wines, or that they are in an awkward phase, or that your personal tastes have evolved over time. I’ve written before about coming to realize you no longer like the wines in your cellar. My best advice is to take a break from your 2010 Cabernets and revisit them again sometime in the future.

—Dr. Vinny

Collecting Aging Wine Ask Dr. Vinny

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search