I found some very old wines that weren't stored properly. Are they safe to taste?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

I found some Pinot Noirs that were made in 1987. They haven't been properly stored, and the corks appear to be compromised. Is the wine still safe to taste?

—Gary, Portland, Ore.

Dear Gary,

The good news is that old wine won't make you sick if you taste it. But it also might not taste so great. My guess is that they will taste oxidized—the wine's fruit flavors will have been replaced by nutty, Sherry-like notes. Oxidation happens when corks fail and the wine is overexposed to oxygen.

Even if they had been stored properly, most red wines that old will display some typical signs of age, which can include changes in color, toward tones of brick or even brown, and they often throw some sediment. Tasting older wines can be a very different experience to that of tasting a recent vintage, but it's always educational!

—Dr. Vinny

Collecting Aging Wine Health Ask Dr. Vinny

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search