Is it OK to freeze wine and drink it later?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

We put a bottle of Chardonnay in the freezer to chill it, but promptly forgot all about it. Hours later, the cork had popped out and the wine was frozen solid. Instead of throwing it away, we let it thaw—and it tastes fine. Is it OK to freeze wine and drink it later?

—Kyle, San Francisco

Dear Kyle,

There’s nothing wrong with freezing wine. In fact, it’s a favorite way for some wine lovers to save leftover wine. I’ve done some trials, and it’s rather remarkable how fresh the wine tastes after it thaws. And for home cooks, a few ice cubes of wine are handy when you want to deglaze a pan without opening a new bottle.

There are two things to keep in mind, and it sounds like you may have figured out the first already. Just like water (and wine is mostly water), the wine will expand as it freezes. If it’s a full, unopened bottle of wine, that means the freezing wine is going to run out of room pretty quickly, at which point it will either a) leak out around the cork, b) push the cork out, c) cause the bottle to crack or d) all of the above. As a precaution, always freeze wine in a container that permits expansion.

Second, once the wine thaws, you might notice tartrate crystals. They’re harmless, but they often form when a wine is subjected to very cold temperatures.

I should also warn you that frozen-then-thawed sparkling wine would likely lose its carbonation.

And the next time you’re trying to quickly chill a bottle of wine, submerge it in a bath of ice water.

—Dr. Vinny

Ask Dr. Vinny Serving Wine Storage

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search