If the grapes aren't labeled on a wine, is it made from sugar?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

If there's no grape mentioned on a wine label, is it true that that means the wine is made from sugar?

—Pat, St. Louis, Mo.

Dear Pat,

Nope, that’s not true. What is true is that wine is made by fermenting grapes, and that process involves yeast converting the sugar in the grapes into alcohol.

There are plenty of wonderful wines that do not list the grapes on the labels. Starting with … most of the wines of Europe! In countries like Italy and France, wines are labeled with the region they are from—you’ll see words like “Bordeaux,“ “Burgundy” or “Barolo.” That’s how the wines are defined, because only specific grapes are permitted to be grown in those regions. But the grapes themselves are usually not listed.

In other parts of the world, you’ll often see grapes listed on the label, in addition to where the grapes were grown—but not always. Many wines, from popular supermarket blends to some of the most sought-after Napa Valley reds like Opus One or Joseph Phelps Insignia, are blends that do not list the grapes but are just defined by their wine name. The blend could be considered proprietary, or simply focusing on a house style might be more important to a wine’s brand than the specifics of the blend.

And even if a wine does have the word “Chardonnay” on it, that doesn't mean the wine is necessarily made entirely from Chardonnay. Labeling laws can allow for as much as 25 percent of that wine to be made from grapes other than Chardonnay.

—Dr. Vinny

Ask Dr. Vinny Labeling Regulations Winemaking Techniques Explained

More In Dr. Vinny

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019

What is malolactic fermentation? Does it occur naturally, or is it artificially induced? Does it change the taste of the wine?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains "ML"—how it happens, and how it affects the …

Oct 30, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search