How does Wine Spectator's 100-point scale actually work?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

How does the point system work when rating a wine?

—Rob, Detroit

Dear Rob,

Wine Spectator’s 100-point scale is an attempt to help our readers understand our judgments of a wine’s quality, just as the accompanying tasting note is our attempt to describe its character.

A wine rated 80-84, for example, was judged to be good (“a solid, well-made wine”), while one rated 85-89 is very good (“a wine with special qualities”). When assigning a score, the taster judges the wine’s structure, flavors and typicity (how well it reflects its grape variety, region and vintage). In order to eliminate bias, all reviews are done “blind”—that is, the taster does not know the producer or price.

A score is an attempt to quantify a judgment that includes both subjective and objective components. It’s not like measuring something with a ruler or a scale. We use a methodology that helps us give each wine a fair and equal opportunity to show its best, and our tasters have extensive experience with the wines they are judging. We think that makes our reviews authoritative, credible and useful for our readers.

I recommend that you compare your own reactions to a given wine with Wine Spectator’s official review and decide for yourself if they help you choose wines you enjoy. We want to share our experience and our passion, and help you develop your own understanding and appreciation of wine.

—Dr. Vinny

How to Taste Tasting Descriptors Ask Dr. Vinny

More In Dr. Vinny

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019

What is malolactic fermentation? Does it occur naturally, or is it artificially induced? Does it change the taste of the wine?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains "ML"—how it happens, and how it affects the …

Oct 30, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search