Do 375ml half-bottles mature more quickly than standard 750ml bottles?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dr. Vinny,

Do 375ml half-bottles mature more quickly than standard 750ml bottles? If so, is there a formula for converting drinking window recommendations from standard to half-bottle?

—Tom

Dear Tom,

I’m a huge fan of half-bottles. I like to order them in restaurants, and I wish that more retailers carried them.

You’re correct that conventional wisdom holds that smaller bottles will mature more quickly than larger bottles. That's because the ratio of ullage (the empty space inside the bottle between the wine and the cork) to wine is largest in small bottles: The amount of air inside an unopened bottle of wine tends to be about the same regardless of the size of the bottle, so the smaller the bottle, the greater the impact that the oxygen inside will have on the wine, and oxygen is a key factor in wine development and maturation.

Wine Spectator's drink recommendations are provided for standard 750ml bottles, but these recommendations can still be useful no matter the size of the bottle in your cellar. If there’s a range of dates given, use the earlier end of the range for smaller bottles, and the later end of the range for larger bottles. If the recommendation is “drink now,” that means we don’t believe the wine will improve with any additional aging, no matter the size of the bottle.

—Dr. Vinny

Collecting Aging Wine Storage Cellars Ask Dr. Vinny

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search