Dining Tip: Prosciutto and Ricotta Tart With Rosé
Note: This recipe originally appeared as an "8 & $20" feature on WineSpectator.com.
Savory Ricotta Tart with Prosciutto and Fennel
• 1 9-by-9-inch sheet of premade puff pastry, defrosted
• 1 1/2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
• 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
• 4 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced into 1/4-inch strips
• 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a thin, rectangular shape and place on a greased baking sheet.
2. Mix the ricotta with the olive oil, garlic and salt to taste, then spread evenly over the puff pastry, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Drape the prosciutto slices over the ricotta. In a small bowl, toss the fennel slices with olive oil to coat, and season with salt. Add the fennel slices evenly to the tart. Baste the uncovered edges of the pastry with the beaten egg, then place in the oven and bake until the crust has browned and the fennel has roasted, around 20 minutes. Serve immediately while hot, or the tart can sit for up to 2 hours and be served lukewarm. Serves 4.