Dining Tip: Pappas Bros.' Perfect Ribeye
Recipe courtesy of executive chef Michael Velardi of Pappa Bros. Steakhouse in Houston, a Wine Spectator Grand Award-winning restaurant.
• 4 Prime rib eye steaks (1 to 1 1/2 inches thick)
• Kosher salt to taste
• Coarsely ground black pepper
• Salted butter, softened
1. Prepare the grill by preheating it to high. High heat is important for searing and browning the meat; this will contribute to the flavor of the finished steak.
2. While the grill is heating up, pull the meat from the refrigerator to remove some of the chill.
3. Just before grilling, season the steaks generously with salt and pepper. Do not pound or press the steaks before or during cooking; this will cause toughness and reduce juiciness.
4. Place the steaks on the grill, keeping lid open throughout the grilling process. Gently flip the steaks every 2 to 3 minutes, to achieve an even sear on both sides. Pappas chefs suggest grilling to medium rare; this will take about 8 to 10 minutes total, depending on the heat and thickness of the steak.
5. Once the steaks have reached the desired doneness, remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes; this will allow the meat to relax and retain its juices.
6. Finish by lightly brushing the top of each steak with butter. Serves 4 to 6, depending on size of steaks and guests' appetites.