Coq Au Vin
Recipe by Emeril Lagasse, adapted from Julia Child's Kitchen by Julia Child.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if necessary
• 1/2 cup lardons, cut into 1/4-by-1 1/2-inch strips (optional)
• 2 1/2 pounds ready-cut frying chicken, thoroughly dried
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 16 to 20 small white onions, peeled, or 2 medium onions, sliced
• 1/4 cup Cognac
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 2 cups red wine, preferably Burgundy or other Pinot Noir, or Côtes du Rhône
• 2 cups brown chicken stock, plus more if necessary
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste, plus more if necessary
• 3/4 pound oyster or shiitake mushrooms, trimmed, washed and quartered
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed casserole, and sauté the lardons, if using, until lightly browned. Remove the lardons, but leave the fat in the pan. If not using lardons, cover the pan with 1/8 inch oil.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the fat in the pan to moderately hot, and add the chicken; do not crowd the pan. Turn the pieces frequently to brown on all sides. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Place the onions around the chicken.
3. Pour in the Cognac, shake the pan, and cook until bubbling. Ignite the Cognac with a match, and let flame 1 minute, swirling the pan to burn off the alcohol. Extinguish the fire with the pan cover. Keep covered, and cook on low heat for 10 more minutes, turning the chicken pieces once. Sprinkle in the flour, turning the chicken and onions to absorb. Cook 3 to 4 minutes more, turning once or twice.
4. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in the wine and enough stock to almost cover the chicken. Add the lardons, garlic and tomato paste. Cover, bring to a simmer, and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove pieces as they become tender.
5. After all the pieces are ready, return them to the pan, add the mushrooms, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes more. The liquid should thicken enough to coat the chicken and vegetables lightly. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.