• 1 eggplant, about 1 1/4 pounds
• 1/4 cup fruity olive oil
• 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks, or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh green onions, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
• 6 slices sourdough bread, toasted
1. Cut the eggplant into 1-inch cubes.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet and put the eggplant cubes in the pan in a single layer. Don't crowd the pan. Do this in two or three batches if necessary. Stir the eggplant frequently as it cooks, keeping the pan covered between stirs, about 7 minutes or until it is wilted but not falling apart. Drain well in a colander and let cool.
3. Toss the eggplant with the tomatoes, vinegar, salt, garlic, green onions, basil, parsley and, if it looks dry, more olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve over slices of sourdough bread. Serves 6.