Recipe courtesy of chef Bridget Warner, Common Market, Charlotte, N.C., adapted from her original recipe.
Common Market Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich with Bacon
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 pounds Pimento Cheese (recipe below)
- 8 strips bacon, cooked
- 4 slices tomato
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1. Butter one side of each bread slice. Assemble the sandwiches with the buttered sides of the bread out and a 1/4-inch layer of pimento cheese on the inside with 2 strips of bacon and 1 slice of tomato.
2. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Cook each sandwich until the bread is nicely browned, about 3 minutes a side. Yields 4 sandwiches.
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 pound pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños, chopped
- 1/4 cup pimentos, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
- Pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix together cheddar, pepper jack, jalapeños and pimentos. Mix in mayonnaise to desired consistency and add pepper to taste.