Can a tasting note indicate whether a wine was aged in oak or not?

Ask Dr Vinny

Hello there! I'm Dr. Vinifera, but you can call me Vinny. Ask me your toughest wine questions, from the fine points of etiquette to the science of winemaking. And don't worry, I'm no wine snob—you can also ask me those "dumb questions" you're too embarrased to ask your wine geek friends! I hope you find my answers educational, empowering and even amusing. And don't forget to check out my most asked questions and my full archives for all my Q&A classics.

Dear Dr. Vinny,

What hints in a tasting note will tell me whether a Chardonnay is oaked or unoaked?

—Steven, Van Buren, Ark.

Dear Steven,

A wine with a heavy oak influence—meaning it was barrel aged in new oak barrels—might have elements of vanilla, toast, coconut, butterscotch or baking spices like cinnamon or nutmeg. Sometimes an oak influence in a Chardonnay is a dead ringer for hazelnuts. I also find that oak can make apple flavors taste baked and pear notes seem poached. More subtly, oaked Chardonnays usually have a more supple body and richness as well.

Chardonnays that are not aged in oak usually reflect more crisp and fresh flavors. There's no universal labeling for oaked and unoaked Chardonnays, but you can also look for clues on the labels. Some wines will clearly say "un-oaked," or will note how long the wine was used in oak barrels. Another indicator that a wine was fermented and aged in stainless steel tanks is the word "inox" on the label, which is an abbreviation for "inoxydable," the French word for "stainless."

—Dr. Vinny

Ask Dr. Vinny Winemaking Techniques Explained Chardonnay

More In Dr. Vinny

At a restaurant, if I want to order a wine that needs time to breathe, what should I do?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny offers advice for ordering wines at a restaurant that …

Nov 13, 2019

Is there any risk to a wine’s quality, or the health of people drinking it, if the winemaker adds too much yeast or nutrients for the fermentation?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why there are limits to how much yeast …

Nov 11, 2019

What causes the blue tinge when I clean red wine out of my wineglass?

Wine Spectator 's expert Dr. Vinny explains why anthocyanins, which give red wine its …

Nov 8, 2019

Why are wines made from winemaking kits ready to drink so much sooner than commercially made wines?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why commercially made wines can take years to …

Nov 6, 2019

If a wine is aged in 55 percent new French oak, what is the other 45 percent?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains how "new" and "used" oak barrels influence wines …

Nov 4, 2019

Some wine pros say bottles don't need to be stored on their sides. Is that true?

Wine Spectator's expert Dr. Vinny explains why wine bottles are stored on their sides, how …

Nov 1, 2019
WineRatings+

WineRatings+

Xvalues

Xvalues

Restaurant Search

Restaurant Search