What you do think of our new mobile-responsive site? Take our survey.
Log In / Join Now

what we're drinking now

Managing editor Kim Marcus joined Wine Spectator in 1988. His tasting beats include Austria, Greece, southern France and Portugal.
Kim Marcus

An Outstanding Chilean Chardonnay

Casa Lapostolle Chardonnay Casablanca Valley Cuvée Alexandre Atalayas Vineyard 2007

Kim Marcus
Posted: May 12, 2009

I have to admit a certain prejudice against Chilean Chardonnays. While I have been impressed by the growing quality of the South American nation's Sauvignon Blancs (see one of my earlier picks), in the past, Chilean Chardonnays have been too often to my taste overoaked and thin on primary fruit flavors. But determined to open my horizons, I tried a Chardonnay from one of my colleague James Molesworth's well-rated Chilean producers, Casa Lapostolle.

The Cuvée Alexandre, sourced from grapes grown in the cool-climate Casablanca Valley, was a revelation. I think I will stock up on some for the warm summer months that hopefully lie soon ahead. It showed a rich nose of honeysuckle and cream, with flavors of ripe apricot, spice and lemon curd. It had a very rich mouthfeel, with a long finish of crème brûlée and hints of white chocolate. A gloriously seductive, unctuous and exotic white.

For the cuvée, 85 percent of the wine was barrel fermented for 10 months in a combination of new and used French oak barrels, with the lees stirred twice a month; this is no doubt the source of the intense creaminess. The remaining 15 percent was fermented in stainless steel to accentuate the fresh fruit flavors. The winemaking techniques were a winning combination; I rated the wine 92 points, non-blind, and it's a bargain at $24 a bottle.

WineSpectator.com members: Read the original blind-tasting review for Casa Lapostolle Chardonnay Casablanca Valley Cuvée Alexandre Atalayas Vineyard 2007 (91, $24)

• Plus, get our quick lists of Top Values and Easy Finds among Chilean whites.

Would you like to comment? Want to join or start a discussion?

Become a WineSpectator.com member and you can!
To protect the quality of our conversations, only members may submit comments. Member benefits include access to more than 315,000 reviews in our Wine Ratings Search; a first look at ratings in our Insider, Advance and Tasting Highlights; Value Wines; the Personal Wine List/My Cellar tool, hundreds of wine-friendly recipes and more.

WineRatings+ app: Download now for 300,000+ ratings.