Recipe courtesy of chef José Andrés of Bazaar Meat in Las Vegas
• 1 whole chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds
• Leaves from 10 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped, plus more for garnish
• Leaves from 10 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
• 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons salt, plus more to taste
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into roughly 1-inch cubes
• 1 pound butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
• 1 pound fresh tomatoes, cut into wedges
• 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced, green parts only
• 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
• Sea salt
1. With chicken breast-side down, use kitchen shears to remove spine. Open chicken up and cut a notch into the top of the breastbone. Press to break breastbone, then cut along either side and remove it. Press chicken flat.
2. In a small bowl, combine the chopped herbs, 1/2 cup olive oil, pepper and 1 tablespoon salt. Rub mixture all over chicken and place skin-side up in a baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
3. Place potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water and cover pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until cooked through, 15 minutes. Drain potatoes, letting them steam in a colander for 1 minute. Transfer to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add 1 piece butter and 1 tablespoon salt. Whisk on very low speed, adding butter one piece at a time until incorporated. Add salt to taste.
4. Place tomatoes in a bowl and add onion and scallion. In a small bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons oil with vinegar, then drizzle over salad. Sprinkle with sea salt.
5. Heat a grill to medium or a cast-iron grill pan to just under medium. Remove chicken from marinade, blot excess oil and season liberally with salt. Place on grill, skin-side down, and cook until skin is crispy, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn over. (If using grill, close top.) Cook until a thermometer inserted into a breast registers 135° F, 10 to 15 minutes more. Using shears, separate breasts from legs. Let breasts rest. Cook legs to 145° F, 5 minutes more.
6. Cut chicken into serving pieces, transfer to a platter and garnish with rosemary. Serve salad and potatoes alongside. Serves 4.
Recommended wine pairings
Chef's pick: Bodegas y Viñedos Raúl Pérez Mencía Bierzo Vico 2013
Wine Spectator alternates: Losada Vinos de Finca Bierzo Losada 2014 (91, $20)
Château St.-Didier Malbec Cahors Prieuré de Cénac 2015 (89, $16)