Courtesy of chef Christopher Grossman, Atlas, Atlanta, adapted from his original recipe.
At Atlas, the buns, mayonnaise and even the pickles are made in house; the texture of the Smoked Gouda-Pimento Cheese at the restaurant is achieved using gelatin sheets. In the spirit of going easy on the home chef, we've simplified the recipes and made substitutions for store-bought goods, with guidance from chef Grossman.
1. Season 2- to 3-ounce patties generously with salt and pepper, then sear quickly in a very hot cast-iron pan; do not press them. Reserve pan drippings.
2. Remove patties from pan and place on a foil-lined oven sheet. Top with Smoked Gouda-Pimento Cheese and place in a preheated oven at 300° F, until cheese begins to melt.
3. Slice buns in half and brush with pan drippings, then toast over grill. Add cheese-topped patty and garnish with mayonnaise, lettuce and pickle, as desired.
1. In a food processor, combine milk powder, salt, cream of tartar, cheddar, gouda and peppers. Heat milk to boiling and, with food processor running, stream in hot milk. Process until smooth.
2. Set into desired mold and refrigerate. Makes about 20 ounces.