• 2 slices bacon, diced
• 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
• 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into thin coins
• 1 stalk of celery, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup French green lentils
• 1 pound spicy chicken or pork sausage (such as andouille)
1. In a medium-sized stockpot, heat the diced bacon over medium-high heat and cook until brown and crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the cooked bacon from the pot and reserve. Add the sliced onions to the pot and cook until slightly softened, around 1 minute, then add the carrots and celery and continue to cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and the green lentils to the pot and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add 1/2 cup of wine to the pot and cook until the wine has been reduced by half. Add water to the pot until it covers the lentil mixture by 1 inch, then bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and continue to cook until the lentils are soft, around 15 to 20 minutes.
3. In a heavy bottomed sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of cooking oil and add the sausages. Cook the sausages, turning on all sides, until browned, around 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the sausages from the heat, cool slightly, then slice into rounds and add to the lentil mixture. Continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes to let the flavors come together, then ladle into bowls. Crumble the bacon, top the bowls with the pieces and serve.Serves 4.