Note: This recipe originally appeared in the "Three's a Charm" wine and food pairing feature.
For the grilled pancetta-wrapped shrimp:
• 2 pounds large, raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (12-15 count)
• 25 to 30 thin slices of pancetta
• Olive oil or vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons honey
• Long wooden skewers, for grilling, soaked in water for 30 minutes
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Wrap a slice of pancetta around each of the shrimp and skewer with either one or two wooden skewers (two makes for especially easy handling). Place the shrimp on a baking sheet and brush lightly with oil on either side.
2. In a small bowl, mix the honey with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, and blend with a whisk or a fork. Set aside.
3. When the grill is hot, grill the shrimp for about 3 minutes on the first side, until beginning to brown. Flip the shrimp and baste with the honey glaze. After another 3 to 4 minutes, when the shrimp are cooked through, remove them from the fire and baste once more with the glaze. Serve warm, with peach and bell pepper salsa. Serves 6.
For the salsa:
• 1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped (approximately one large red bell pepper)
• 2/3 cup peach or apple, finely chopped (approximately one to two peaches or apples)
• 1/3 cup red onion, diced
• 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons neutrally flavored oil, such as vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use. (The salsa can be made several hours ahead of time.)