• 3 tablespoons butter
• 8 yellow onions, thinly sliced
• 1 cup red Bordeaux, Sherry, Madeira or Port
• 32 ounces beef stock
• 1 baguette cut into 1/2 inch slices
• 1 pound Gruyère cheese, grated
1. In a heavy-bottom stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until nicely browned, around 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the wine, raise the heat to high and stir, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. When half the wine has evaporated, add the stock plus 1 quart of water, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and continue to cook uncovered for another 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to broil. Toast the baguette slices. Adjust the seasoning of the soup with salt, then ladle it into four oven-safe bowls. Cover the top of the soup with the toasted bread slices, then add a generous amount of shredded cheese to cover. Place the bowls on a tray in the oven and cook until the cheese has browned. Serves 4.
Sips & Tips | Wine & Healthy Living
Video Theater | Collecting & Auctions