• 4 slices of bacon
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 cup white wine
• 4 medium-size Yukon gold potatoes, diced
• 2 cups chicken stock
• Corn kernels cut from 6 ears of fresh corn, or about 1 1/4 cup frozen kernels
• 1 pint heavy cream
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, each sliced in half
• 1/4 cup julienned fresh basil
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed sauce pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until browned, around 3 to 4 minutes, flipping occasionally. Remove the bacon from the pot and reserve.
2. Add the diced onion to the sauce pot and cook in the bacon fat over medium-high heat until the onion has softened and browned, around 2 to 3 minutes. Add the wine and continue to cook until 1/2 the wine has evaporated.
3. Add the potatoes, the chicken stock and enough water to cover the potatoes. Raise the heat to high and continue to cook until the liquid is boiling, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Continue to cook until the potatoes are soft, around 15 minutes, then add the corn and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the heavy cream and adjust the seasoning with salt.
4. Crumble the crisped bacon. Portion the soup into 4 bowls and top with cherry tomatoes, crumbled bacon and basil and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Sips & Tips | Wine & Healthy Living
Video Theater | Collecting & Auctions