Recipe courtesy of chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten
• 6 short ribs, each 12 to 16 ounces
• 4 star anise, finely ground
• 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
• 1 1/2 cups ketchup
• 1/2 cup passion fruit syrup
• 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
• 3 tablespoons molasses
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
• 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
• 1 ancho chile, seeded, lightly toasted and finely chopped
• 1 chipotle pepper from canned chile in adobo
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
• 1 1/2 pounds medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 1/3 cup heated heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• 6 teaspoons grated aged cheddar
• 1 cup micro sprout mix
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Lay the ribs in a single layer on a platter. Sprinkle with star anise and 1 teaspoon salt, and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, combine the ketchup, syrup, vinegar, fish sauce, molasses, garlic powder, onion, liquid smoke, ancho chile, chipotle, sesame oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender. Puree until smooth. Add 1 quart water, and mix until smooth.
3. Preheat a grill to high. Brush the ribs lightly with grapeseed oil, and place on the grill. Char on all sides except the bony rib side, about 5 to 10 minutes total.
4. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Transfer the ribs to a deep roasting pan, and cover with the sauce. Cover tightly with foil, and place in the oven. Cook for 3 hours, or until completely tender. Transfer the ribs to a clean roasting pan. Strain the sauce, and reserve. Increase the oven heat to 500° F.
5. Meanwhile, put the potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan, with water to cover by 1 inch, over medium-high heat. Simmer gently, until the potatoes are completely tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the strained sauce to the ribs, and place them in the oven. Cook, basting frequently, until the ribs are glazed and caramelized and the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes.
7. Drain the potatoes thoroughly, and pass them through a fine food mill, into a bowl. Smooth with a rubber spatula. Whisk in the cream, butter and salt to taste.
8. Divide the ribs and potato puree among 6 plates. Sprinkle the cheddar over the potatoes. Garnish with the micro sprouts and black pepper, and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Sips & Tips | Wine & Healthy Living
Video Theater | Collecting & Auctions