• 1 1/2 pounds hanger steak, around 1-inch thick (skirt or flank steak make good substitutions)
• 3 tablespoons harissa
• 3 medium-size eggplants
• 1 cup whole plain yogurt
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
• 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a shallow baking dish or bowl, coat the hanger steak with the harissa sauce. Let the steak marinate while you prepare the eggplant.
2. Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch rounds and toss with cooking oil and salt to taste. Spread the rounds in a single layer onto baking sheets and roast the eggplant in the oven until browned slightly, around 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.
3. Combine the yogurt, garlic and parsley in a small bowl and reserve.
4. In a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Season each side of the steak with salt, add the steak to the pan and cook until medium rare, around 4 to 5 minutes a side. Remove the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Squeeze the juice from the lemon over the resting steak and slice across the grain. Serve immediately with the roasted eggplant and yogurt sauce. Serves 4.