• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 1 bunch spinach (approx 5 oz.)
• 2 store-bought pizza doughs
• 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
• 1 pound lamb Merguez sausage, removed from casing and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1. Prepare the grill to medium-high heat or preheat the oven to 500 °F.
2. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft and browned, around 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserve.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook until just soft, around 3 to 4 minutes. Strain the spinach using a colander and cool. Squeeze the excess water from the spinach using a towel, then chop finely and reserve.
4. Divide the pizza dough into 4 pieces, then press or roll out the dough until 1/8-inch thick. Brush the dough rounds with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
5. To grill: Brush the other side of the dough with oil. Place the dough rounds on the grill grates, then quickly top with the onions, spinach, crumbled cheese and sausage. Cover the grill and cook until the dough is browned and sausage cooked through, around 10 minutes. If the crust begins to brown too quickly, remove the lid and continue to cook. When done, remove from the grill and serve immediately.
6. To bake: Place the dough rounds on a greased cookie sheet, then top with the onions, spinach, crumbled cheese and sausage. Bake until the dough is browned and sausage cooked through, around 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Serves 4.