• 1 lemon
• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 1 baguette, thinly sliced into rounds
• 2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed and washed
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 5 ounces baby arugula
• 1/4 pound shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Squeeze one half of the lemon over the chicken breasts, season with salt and set aside.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the slices of baguette and continue to cook until crisped on one side, then flip them over using tongs and cook until crisp on the other side. Remove the croutons to a plate, and cook the remaining slices by batches, adding more oil when necessary.
3. Rub 1/2 of the asparagus (1 bunch) with cooking oil and season with salt. Place the asparagus in a roasting pan and cook in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the asparagus begins to brown. Remove from the oven and reserve.
4. Heat two tablespoons of oil in one large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan (or two medium-size pans), over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and sear until golden brown, around 3 to 4 minutes, then turn the chicken over and put the pan in the oven to finish cooking. When the chicken is done, around 6 to 8 more minutes, remove from the oven and reserve.
5. While the chicken is cooking, shave the remaining asparagus lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or mandolin. Cut the long shavings into 2-inch pieces.
6. Make a salad dressing by mixing the minced garlic with the juice from the remaining half of the lemon and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cut the chicken and the roasted asparagus into bite-size pieces. Toss the arugula, chicken, roasted asparagus, shaved asparagus and cheese with the salad dressing in a large bowl. Season with salt. Divide the salad and the croutons among four plates. Serves 4.
Sips & Tips | Wine & Healthy Living
Video Theater | Collecting & Auctions