• 1 pound skirt steak
• 1 lemon
• 3 white bulbs of spring onions, thinly sliced
• 2 cups sliced morel mushrooms (cremini, shiitake or oyster would make good substitutions)
• 2 cups roughly chopped frisée
• 1 baguette, cut into 6-inch pieces, then sliced lengthwise in half
1. Squeeze half of the lemon into a medium bowl. Add the steak, turn to coat and let sit at room temperature.
2. In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for 30 seconds, then add the mushrooms, season with salt and cook until the mushrooms are tender, around 5 minutes.
3. Remove the steak from the lemon juice marinade and season with salt on both sides. In a heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook until medium-rare, around 3 minutes a side. Remove the meat from the pan and place on a cutting board to rest. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
4. While the meat is resting, toast the baguette slices in the pan with the meat juices. Dress the frisée with the juice from the other half of the lemon. Assemble the sandwiches with steak, the mushroom mixture and frisée. Serves 4.
Sips & Tips | Wine & Healthy Living
Video Theater | Collecting & Auctions