• 2 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 8-pound striped bass
• 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fennel pollen (may substitute ground fennel seeds)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 12 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced on a mandolin
• 3 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
• 4 ruby red grapefruit, membranes removed and segmented
• 2 tablespoons mustard oil
1. Preheat an outdoor or stovetop grill to medium heat.
2. Prepare the vinaigrette: In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the grapefruit juice and honey until well combined. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
3. Prepare the striped bass: Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the striped bass. Dust each side of the fish with 2 tablespoons of fennel pollen and season with salt and pepper. Grill the striped bass for 7 to 8 minutes on each side.
4. Assemble: While the fish is on the grill, add the fennel, fennel fronds and grapefruit segments to the vinaigrette and mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the striped bass to a long platter; using tongs, place the fennel salad over the fish. Carefully spoon the remaining vinaigrette over the salad. Drizzle the mustard oil around the fish and sprinkle with the remaining fennel pollen. Serve immediately. Serves 6.