Q: I bought a bottle of Six Grapes Port last December. The other night I thought I'd open this bottle for dinner. Much to my surprise, it had leaked a bit from around the cork. Is it drinkable or is it contaminated by bacteria and now garbage? --Mary Lou Devitt
A: Since the bottle in question is a fortified wine, it will be less susceptible to spoilage or oxidation than, say, a Bordeaux or a Burgundy, because the addition of brandy serves as an added preservative. In auction catalogs, it is not uncommon to see a wine description that says "slight signs of seepage" (leakage) which does not materially affect the lot's value. Provided the wine level has not been dramatically reduced, the Six Grapes should still be drinkable.
Have a question about collecting and auctions? E-mail us.
Sips & Tips | Wine & Healthy Living
Video Theater | Collecting & Auctions