Course: Understanding Wine
summarize: finish, balance, complexity
1. Swirl, sniff and swallow the Pinot Noir, paying attention to how long the flavors linger in your mouth.
2. Note your tasting checklist and repeat the process with your Merlot.
A red wine that is in balance feels smooth and pleasing to the palate -- not too "hard" from tannin and acidity, not too "soft" from sweetness and not too "hot" from alcohol.
1. Sip, swish and swallow your Pinot Noir, checking for excessive roughness, puckering or burning from too much tannin, acidity or alcohol.
2. Note the Pinot’s...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.
Passionate about wine? WineSpectator.com seeks a highly motivated digital journalist for an assistant editor position in its New York editorial department.