Course: Understanding Wine
Class 2: Tasting Reds
- When we smell a wine's aromas, we begin by first judging their Intensity.
- Intensity answers the question "How powerful - or faint - are the aromas?"
- Try to do the following process in a single sniff per wine; form an impression and go on to the next step. Remember that, like any skill, you will improve at this with experience.
- Swirl and sniff the Beaujolais.
- Are the aromas powerful? Do they pour out the glass and immediately fill your nose?
- Are they faint, or hard to detect?
- Circle the intensity on your Tasting Worksheet that best describes the intensity of the Gamay's aromas.
Ready to enroll? First, you must register for a membership to WineSpectator.com. Your membership benefits include:
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
Log In If You're Already a WineSpectator.com Member
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.