: Aroma Intensity
- When we smell a wine's aromas, we begin by first judging their intensity.
- Intensity is the answer to the question, "How powerful or faint are the aromas?"
- Try to do the following process in a single sniff per wine; form an impression and go on to the next step. Remember that, like any skill, you will improve at this with experience.
- Swirl and sniff the Pinot Grigio.
- Are the aromas powerful? Do they seem to pour out of the glass and immediately fill your nose?
- Or are they faint, maybe even hard to detect?
- On your tasting journal, circle the intensity that most closely describes the Pinot Grigio's aromas.
- Swirl and sniff the Chardonnay.
- Are the aromas powerful, faint or somewhere in-between?