Course: Understanding Wine
summarize: finish, balance, complexity
The Bordeaux and Côtes-du-Rhône you tasted in the last class were intended to be everyday wines -- affordable and enjoyable, but otherwise at the most basic level of quality. The wines of this tasting are in a different class, one we'll call "weekend" wines. A weekend wine is generally higher in quality than an everyday wine and offers more complexity, better balance and more enjoyment than its (usually) less-expensive counterpart.
Both your Rioja Reserva and Chianti Classico should have qualities that distinguish them from everyday wines grown in their respective regions: For the Rioja, Reservas receive extended aging in oak and bottle, producing a wine with more harmonious flavors and refined mouthfeel; for the Chianti, it is the very favorable soil...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.