Course: Understanding Wine
Class 4: Major Regional Varieties
summarize: finish, balance, complexity
- Swirl, sniff and spit the Viognier, paying attention to how long the flavors linger in your mouth after spitting.
- Note finish on your worksheet.
- Repeat the process with your Gewürztraminer.
- Viognier can be long, rich and spicy.
- Gewürztraminer sometimes has a hint of grapefruit bitterness.
- Sip, swish and swallow your Viognier, checking for its balance of acidity, alcohol and sweetness.
- It should have some body from alcohol, but should not be "hot."
- It may also have a "softer" balance due to higher alcohol and lower acidity.
- Now sip, swish and swallow your Gewürztraminer, checking its balance.
- Gewurztraminer can be high in alcohol, but still should not be "hot".
- Like the Viognier, Gewürztraminer is also softer than a number of other white wines due to higher alcohol...
Ready to enroll? First, you must register for a membership to WineSpectator.com. Your membership benefits include:
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
Log In If You're Already a WineSpectator.com Member
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.