Pomerol is located northeast of the city of Libourne and immediately north of St.-Émilion.
Originally planted by Romans, Pomerol remains a small and rural area.
For a few reasons, Pomerol and St.-Émilion are often mentioned together.
Indeed, until 50 years ago, the tiny appellation of Pomerol was overshadowed by its larger neighbor.
Today, Pomerol's 1,900 acres of vines produce some of Bordeaux's most collectible wines.
Although Pomerol is some distance from the Atlantic Ocean, some cooling breezes do reach the appellation and moderate the temperature. Officially, the appellation has a weak maritime...
• FREE enrollment in any course at Wine Spectator School
• Over 230,000 searchable ratings and tasting notes
• FREE mobile access so you can research wines wherever you are
• E-newsletters with advance ratings
• Editors’ blogs
• Food and wine matching tool
• And much more
If you have questions about Wine Spectator School, please contact us.